[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Brakes - even more ??s

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 07:04:51 GMT 2008

Patrick,
I increase the pounds per square inch on my socket.  I
actually use 5/8" impact socket, a long 1/2" breaker
bar (someting like this: <http://tinyurl.com/36djw2>

I have a piece of pipe which adds length.

I have a 3 foot pry bar which I install between two
wheel studs after I have protected the threads.  I
temporarily secure the pry bar to the wheel studs so
it doesn't slip off (ouch).  I rotate the wheel so
that the pry bar will stop on the garage floor as I
remove a bolt from the brake disc.  This is time
consuming as things have to be rotated and readjusted
as I move from bolt to bolt.

Re-installation of the brake disk is the reverse of
removal.  I use a "Spanish Windlass" consisting of a
length of rope and a bit of metal when it's time to
move the DeDion tube together. (It all reminds me of
the old Bob Newhart sketch, Bomb on a Beach.  - "You
don't have tool AB-675 to remove the disarming cover,
Willard?  Well, try using a dime.")

Eric

--- phing <phing at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Hi
>  I've decided to remove the diff to get at the rear
> brakes . I can't move the bolts securing the drive
> shafts to the discs . So far
> I've used penetrating oils , extensions on socket
> wrench ratchets , and a DeWalt electric impact
> wrench,   with no results . What's
> the next step ? Heat , it's a bit close to the fuel
> pump and piping ? Clever applied violence using
> jacks and ring spanners ?? Is it
> possible to shear the bolts if I try too hard ?
>  As  always any advice will be welcome
> Cheers
>  Patrick

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca