[ROVERNET - UK] Wanted: P4 '60' 4-cylinder engine in USA/Canada

Gordon Harrower griffo at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 03:49:49 GMT 2007

S Manwell wrote:

> I have been in contact with a garage in Connecticut that is looking
> for a good P4 '60' engine for a restoration on a 1958 P4 they are
> doing for a customer.  The engine in the car is firmly seized after a
> long soak with 'Mystery Oil in the cylinders.  I have advised them
> that they might find an engine through Land Rover Series I sources,
> and they are looking into importing an engine from the UK.  Sounds
> like the engine was low on power for a while, then sat for some years
> and is now seized.
> Does anyone know of a 60 engine available in North America?  How about
> a good running 60 engine available in the UK or elsewhere?
>
> Depending on how badly stuck the engine is, they might be better off
> putting resources into rebuilding the existing engine rather than
> putting in a running engine with unknown history.  I don't think there
> are many 60's or Series I's in the US.  Maybe put an '80' / LR Series
> II engine in it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Manwell

Steve,

I passed your message along to Ben Saunders, who has a couple P4s, and
this was his response:

All I can tell them on this one is if they want to keep it original then
they will have to get an engine from the UK or pay dearly for one over here
and the car will be greatly underpowered. If they don't care for originality
then go to the Rover 110 or 100 engine which will fit to that bell housing.
If they want to go to the Land Rover 2.25L (Rover 80) then they will also
need a bell housing to make the change and it will still be underpowered but
not as much as with the original engine. They may want to check with Dirk
Burrowes and see what he has in engines since he is closer.