[ROVERNET - UK] Shifting Problem (post for friend)

S Manwell s_manwell at alum.swarthmore.edu
Thu Mar 1 03:06:55 GMT 2007

Steve,

Our P4 100 has/had possibly related clutch issues.  When we bought it in
'01, we knew that it became difficult to get into gear after it was
warm.  The problem got worse over several months of active use.  I had
to slip it into first just before coming to a full stop and keep it in
gear, otherwise it would not go into gear from neutral with the engine
idling.  This led to a project to replace the clutch and rear main seal
and resurface the flywheel.  My theory is that the leaky rear seal
caused the clutch disk to get soaked with oil, and it swelled enough to
drag.  With around 37,000 miles at the time the disk wasn't worn enough
to compensate for the swelling / sticky surface.  I had the clutch
linkage adjusted for maximum release with the pedal to the floor, with
hardly any pedal travel at the other end of the range with the upper
stop "adjusted" for more travel.

The new clutch transformed the shifting for the most part.  It is now
happy to slip into first after idling in neutral and generally shifts
nicely.  The previous owner is amazed to see how easily it goes through
the gears when we visit and give him a ride.

It is, however, still a little reluctant to go into 3rd when shifting on
the move -- after it is warmed up.  I am suspicious that the synchro
rings may have gotten abused over some years of use with the dragging
clutch, and I guess that the sychro likes the viscosity of the gearbox
oil best when it is cold.  I have been using engine oil in the gearbox,
partly because it has a Laycock overdrive.  I intend to try Redline MTL
which is a synthetic "manual transmission lube" that is supposed to give
optimum friction for sychro operation, while providing lubrication for
the gears.  It's popular with the Volvo crowd for manual gearbox cars,
including those with overdrives, and the Redline tech said it should be
good for a manual/overdrive application.  I didn't use the car much last
year and never got 'round to this test, but will have to do it this season.

--Steve Manwell