[ROVERNET - UK] 2000 Tc no fuel sorted & a brake question. (Extended babbling.)

Nathan Obuch nathanobuch at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 04:36:17 BST 2006

Greetings, Rovernet.

       I got my 'no fuel to carbs' problem sorted.
Stupid, stupid stupid!

The fuel reserve line is blocked solid. Probably crud
in the tank plugging the strainer?
The main fuel supply had run out.
The gas gauge reads 3/4 tank when the car is down to
the reserve level.

At least I had the opportunity to replace some funky
bits of fuel line and add a filter on the main fuel
line, so it wasn't a total waste of effort.

So, I finally had the chance to drive a Rover, if only
up and down the driveway. I like it so far!

On to my brake question: (dual circuit brakes on this
'69)

     I replaced the front brake servo with a rebuilt,
and bled the front brakes. I have the vacuum line for
the rear servo disconnected and plugged, pending
replacement of the rear servo and rear brake hoses.
The brakes seem to work OK, they'll lock up on gravel,
but the unusual thing is that the pedal seems to
travel down when the brakes are applied, then actually
push back up on my foot! The servo also makes a
clunking noise during really hard brake application.
Maybe it is reaching the end of the internal piston's
travel?
      I am not totally confident that I have the front
brakes bled out well, so perhaps air is causing the
problem. It's definitely a strange pedal feel- kind of
reminds me of my old BMW (gasp!) 535i which had a
hydraulic power steering driven brake booster. Any
thoughts?

Thanks again for all your collective help.

Nathan