[ROVERNET - UK] Clutch Hydraulics - 2000

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 04:20:02 GMT 2006

Steve,
Ruth at All British Cars is the person to ask about
bleed screws.  I don't have a package to which I could
refer.

Ruth = <allbritishcars at shaw.ca>

Awww....... fluid in the hose.
Once upon a time, I tried replacing my fluid with
silicone fluid (major snip of full details and tale of
woe).
I knew the servo(s) had leaked past the seal as I
drove up a steep hill on the way to work.  I had
reduced power and "white" smoke was pouring out the
exhaust.  I presume regular fluid would not give white
smoke but some other visual indication that
glycol/whatever was being mixed with fuel and air in
the carbs.

I totally replaced all seals, bled the sytem, and
reinstalled regular brake fluid.

You can:
1. Rebuild the servos yourself
2. Have them rebuilt locally
3. Have Ruth rebuild them

Question: Do you want the air control valve kit as
well with the shiny new nylon bits? I've ordered two.
Do you want a plain-Jane rebuild and hope that the
serve cylinder doesn't have to be resleeved?

Anyway, all is possible.

Eric

--- Steven Dibdin <sdibdin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Good news- The readjustment and hanging slave
> cylinder bleed trick worked a
> treat. I can now change gear sweet as a nut.
>
> Bad news- I now have no brakes! I tried bleeding the
> brakes as the pedal had
> become soft after Christmas.
>
> I think the rear servo has finally died. When I got
> the car this October I
> knew that the callipers and master cylinder had been
> professionally rebuilt.
> But the servos hadn't been touched. I also knew that
> only the rear servo was
> still connected to a vacuum source. So after I bled
> the rear callipers I
> noticed that I wasn't getting any real pressure at
> the pedal. Took off the
> vacuum line to the rear servo found what looks like
> brake fluid in the hose.
>
> Eric, do you know off hand what thread/type self
> bleeding nipples I need for
> the (Girling) brakes? I know my local factor has a
> range but don't know
> which ones I'll need.
>
> Oh well, I wanted to get back under cars.... careful
> what you wish for!
>
> Cheers everybody,
>
> Steven D

=== message truncated ===