[ROVERNET - UK] De-coking a rover V8

David Read defender110 at ozemail.com.au
Mon Feb 6 08:56:05 GMT 2006

Gavin.Walker at csiro.au wrote:
> Hi,
>   Last year a stuck inlet valve bent a pushrod 45deg.  I have finally
> taken the heads off.  All the valves appear straight.  One valve guide
> on the other head has dropped and cracked but the valve seems ok.  Some
> of the exhaust valves are a little stiff in the last few mm of movement
> but I expect that'll disappear when I clean them up.
>
> The carbon is really thick on both the heads and the pistons.  What the
> best way of cleaning this up?
>
> The head gaskets show signs of cylinder leakage between the cylinders
> and into the valley.  Heads and block, however, are flat within 0.05mm.
> Don't know what's going on there.
>
> Gavin Walker
> Canberra, Australia

Hi Gavin
I would say that since the head is still flat, the outer row of bolts
may have tilted the head slightly, allowing the compression to leak into
the valley.

You can safely leave the outer bolts out, or install them at half torque.

I would elect to use the tin gasket with the outer bolts
removed/de-torqued to maintain compression ratio.
Not sure about how much of the compression ratio is lost with the
composite gaskets .... anyone?

Cheers
Dave
South Oz