[ROVERNET - UK] De-coking a rover V8

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Mon Feb 6 06:42:17 GMT 2006

Hi Gavin,
I don't know if the product is available in Oz, but I have used
non-toxic oven cleaner (Easy Off blue).  May take several applications.
I used to swear by the composite gaskets, but I think proper use of 10
studs per side (rather than 14 bolts) makes even the steel gaskets work
quite well.  If your heads are held by all 14 bolts, the heads are
actually tilting on the block promoting leakage.  Des Hammil actually
reccommends specially ground studs that bottom "on center" in the block.
Just one of many good tips in his book on the Rover V8. If you need to
lower compression a little, use composition head gaskets.  Buy new
valves.  What year is the engine?

Roveroverbakedly,
Kent K.