[ROVERNET - UK] NADA air conditioning compressor & sloppy gear change - 2000 TC

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 07:26:04 BST 2004

Jim,
Could it be that the cast rubber "ball" on the bottom
of the gearshift stick has worn off?  This will cause
the shifter to move further ahead and further behind
as there is then more space in which the bottom of the
stick can move.  I, also, have a modified extension
system on one of my Rovers and encountered that
problem.

I replaced the shifter with a long series 2 unit
except the metal end vibrates against the metal
receptacle on the remote control rod.

The system "ate" the first short shifter with the
rubber bit so I am hesitant about sacrificing another
rubber covered stick made of unobtainium.

Eric