[ROVERNET - UK] P6 windshield differences?

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 05:46:54 GMT 2008

I can vouch for Vern's practical experience in these
matters.  A picture and an account of his most
dramatic incident was an outstanding feature in the
Club magazine when I was editor. Glad it wasn't me
testing the windsheild :-)

Eric

--- Vern Klukas <vern at inkspotco.com> wrote:

> Well, certainly in the early days laminated windows
> were not
> necessarily a safety improvement over a toughened
> window. In fact,
> given a small enough impact area, say the top of
> your head (extreme)
> or your hand, it was possible to puncture a
> laminated window and
> suffer very nasty lacerations or near amputation.
> Another nasty
> feature was that laminated windows tended to release
> short, small
> slivers of glass. OTOH, the big dangers of the
> toughened window was
> the cloud of small rectangular glass pieces that
> flew about, and,
> with the window gone completely, the danger of
> outside things getting
> in or you being ejected from the car.
>
> I have suffered injuries from both styles over the
> years.
>
> Yours
> Vern
>

> >These are all windshields?  That is, they go on the
> front of the car?
> >
> >Fact remains, they are all the same shape, tinted
> or not.
> >Aftermarket windshields could be square or purple,
> but they will
> >only fit the car if they conform to the factory
> dimensions.
> >
> >I'm surprised that Rover would have installed an
> unlaminated
> >windshield on a car they were selling as a safely
> designed vehicle.
> >I can see the back window being non-laminated, but
> not the front
> >windshield.
> >
> >Does your book also show the heated rear window
> with the defroster
> >wires built in?
> >
> >Glen

> bibles.
> 2200 (1975) & 3500 (1973)

> all years of production
> tinted
> tinted

> Norway

> not compulsory
> market where I
> >>
> >>Exactlly right, though laminated screens were also
> promoted for the
> >>home market as a safety upgrade.
> >>
> >>I wonder if Peter may of gotten his impression of
> different screens
> >>because the rear and front screens are close in
> size and shape,
> >>unlike most cars where the rear is markedly
> different from the
> >>front.
> >>
> >>Yours
> >>Vern

> --
> Vern Klukas                             I'm a little
> . . .
> Inkspot Type & Design
> vern at inkspotco.com

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca