[ROVERNET - UK] Getting IOE blocks properly machined

Kent Kinard kentkinard at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 04:13:06 GMT 2008

Hi Linus,
The tool is called a "Jig block, cylinder boring" part number 261288.
According to the Special Tools section of the service manual it "enables
standard boring equipment to be used on sloping head engines."  Strictly
speaking, it is not a "torque plate".  The purpose of a torque plate is
to allow the block to be stressed and distorted as it would be when the
cylinder head is bolted to it, yet still be open at the top to allow
machining to be done (boring and/or honing).  The tool listed could
perform that function but was really designed as a boring bar adapter in
the days when cylinders were machined by bolting the boring bar to the
the upper block deck.  I have never seen this tool nor do I know of
anyone who has one.  Most modern engines should not be machined without
a torque plate bolted to the deck to properly distort the block.  It
probably doesn't make any difference on an IOE.  Blocks are no longer
bored with a bar that takes its register from the top deck.

If I had studied a little more before popping off, I could have answered
my own question, I suppose.

Bottom line...don't worry about it.

Roveroverthehilledly,
Kent K.