[ROVERNET - UK] Getting IOE blocks properly machined

Kent Kinard kentkinard at verizon.net
Thu Jan 17 15:25:58 GMT 2008

Hi Linus,
About rebuilds.  My old machinist in San Antonio has rebuilt several
Land Rover IOE's.  We had a conversation several years ago about the
lack of IOE style torque plates in the US.  He felt that they were no
longer as important for the rebuild of these engines because modern
machining methods use the crankshaft centerline as the data point.  I am
still of the opinion that the availability of an IOE style torque plate
is important to an IOE rebuild.  If, at some point, a rebore and new
pistons do become necessary,  you may want to explore these issues.
Most of us saloon owners are happy if our IOE's don't have a death
rattle.  Land Rover owners faced with the necessity of reliable
performance in the middle of nowhere have to take these issues much more
seriously.  Cost of IOE rebuilds is very high and many LR owners in the
US would rather swap to a domestic engine than do a rebuild.

Roverly,
Kent K.