[ROVERNET - UK] 3-2000TC's for sale- mystery numbers-sorted!

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 16:56:43 GMT 2008

Hmmmmm,...... that was part of the "new math" I had to
learn how to teach my Grade 7 students in the 1970s
(changed out of that after 5 years thank goodness).

Write "numbers" from 0 to 50.

Arrange the numbers in such a way that you can draw a
circle around them.

Draw another circle which contains only even numbers
and overlaps the first circle and the original
numbers.

You should have two overlaping circles.  There is an
intersecting portion which contains your even numbers.
 Outside that intersection but within the first circle
are all the other numbers.  Outside that intersection
but within the second circle is nothing.

That's a Venn diagram. As the mathematics get more
complicated you can get more circles and more
challenging tasks.  The head explodes with the
possibilities.

Apparently, the powers-that-be changed and they
determined that this mathematical activity for
children who had not reached the mental age of 11 was
too mind-blowing and common sense prevailed.

Eric

--- David Sheuring <rovertcv8 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ok...I have to ask....whats a Venn diagram? As I am
> partial educated man who is still workin g on his
> college degree.
> Cheers
> David
> --- Nathan Obuch <nathanobuch at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I understand now. All this talk of subsets
> > enough to make one want to draw a Venn diagram!
> >
> > Nathan
> >

> > --- Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton
> > <smokeandsteam at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > 418 is the first three digit in the commission
> > > number and identifies
> > > the car as LHD export - i.e. markets including
> but
> > > not limited to
> > > North America whereas 859 is a Federal car for
> > North
> > > America only
> > >
> > > The reason of the overlap is that the 418 series
> > > cars continued to be
> > > sold in other LHD markets after the Federal cars
> > > were introduced. NADA
> > > cars were a subset of these but shared the
> > > commission numbers for
> > > other LHD export cars.As I understand it  the
> NADA
> > > cars were simply
> > > seen a unique combination of options on the
> basic
> > > export TC rather
> > > than a separate model
> > >
> > > A 418 or NADA car will have the  no side markers
> > and
> > > no US emission
> > > controls, whereas the 859 car would have had
> these
> > > from new as well as
> > > dual braking circuits which necessitated
> treating
> > > this as a different
> > > model on the assembly lines
> > >
> > > The other Federal cars were the series II cars
> > with
> > > commission numbers
> > > starting in 435... these are especially rare
> > since
> > > there were only a
> > > couple of hundred or so made
> > >
> > > Aidrian

> > > Back-up list and photos at:

> > Be a better friend, newshound, and

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca