[ROVERNET - UK] New Assignment-OT

Kent Kinard kentkinard at verizon.net
Wed Apr 23 18:07:42 BST 2008

Hi Eric,

I went to the retirement seminar and found out that health insurance
must be paid out of pocket if you retire early.  I'm 61 and won't be
Medicare eligible until 65.  We have good insurance, but it would be
$25,000 per year out of pocket.  $100,000 was incentive enough to work a
few more years...or until we get national health care.

The US spends more on health care than any nation on earth and ranks
only 42nd in the world in life expectancy...maybe the United Church of
Canada or the Methodist Church of New Zealand have some openings?
Somebody is making a lot of money off this deal....It's not our
insurance company because our group is self-insured.  For-profit health
care can provide the best treatment in the world...but only if you have
the money.  There are 1.5 million_ uninsured children_ in Texas.  Over
half are eligible for either Children's Medicare or CHIP but are not
enrolled.  Texas has statistics like a third world country.  I am
ashamed.  I have beat this drum for years.

We try to help.  Methodist Healthcare Ministries, headquartered in San
Antonio, spends over $15 million each year on primary health care for
the underserved.  When I was at St. Mark's, I had an RN on staff whose
salary was paid by MHM (one of over sixty we employ in south Texas, the
majority in the Rio Grande Valley), but it's a drop in the bucket.

How did I get started on this?  ...anyway, no retirement for at least
four years.

Roverly,
Kent K