[ROVERNET - UK] Restoration, re-shell, or clone?

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 02:53:23 BST 2008

I'm not sure about the conversion idea.  There's a
keen chap in the UK who have been importing container
loads of cars and parts from California (are ya there,
Duane? :-)

Driving narrow British roads in a British car is bad
enough.  Sure, you can get close and personal with the
Hedgerow (hedge) but aren't you concerned about that
lorry coming the other way.  Will he clip you?  Will
you clip him?  Clip yes? Clip no?  Oops... too late
:-)

Eric

http://www.rover-classics.co.uk/pages/restoration/index.html
> , the owner
> describes a restoration of a NADA Federal 3500S that
> cost  £16,000. Now,
> isn't a pound worth about $2 at this point?
>
> What's interesting about that car is that it was RHD
> before he restored
> it. Once again, what's the VIN? Did someone convert
> it from an NADA car?
> Or is it a clone? I also notice that the seats and
> grille are different
> from the 3500S we got in the states. There are no
> pictures of the door
> panels, but I think I see a rotary knob for one of
> the vent windows. I'd
> wager anything that this is a home market 3500 with
> a lot of NADA 3500S
> bits screwed on. Beautiful automobile and excellent
> workmanship.
>
> I can see wanting a RHD car for use in the UK, but
> for $32,000 why not
> restore an actual original NADA 3500S with all of
> the original bits?
> Funny what people with a lot of money choose to do
> with it.
>
> Re Steven's comments, the NADA 3500S had many parts
> that were unique to
> it including the interior door panels with arm rests
> and pockets, the
> hood scoops, and the bumpers, and the grille (though
> that was mainly a
> paint job).
>
> It was the first to have the box pleated upholstery
> and the round gauges.
>
> It also had steel bars in the doors for added
> safety. Did other P6s get
> these?
>
> How about the rotary knobs for opening the vent
> windows in the front
> doors?  Did they ever appear on other cars?
>
> Glen

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca