[ROVERNET - UK] Restoration, re-shell, or clone?

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 00:42:55 BST 2008

Geoff,

I'd equate this with turning a Pontiac Tempest into a GTO. I was going
to add something like, "except that there wouldn't such a big difference
in value" but the £16,000 invested in it scares me a bit. Somewhere down
the line, someone might be tempted to pass it off as the real thing to
recoup some of that money. It's an absolutely beautiful car that has the
best cosmetic bits screwed on and retains the utility of RHD for the UK
as well as a new crate engine.

The restorer writes, "The only modification (since the restoration was
completed) made to the car has been the installation of fuel injection.
Everything else is standard, fitted to Rover specification." This gets
to be a bit of a sticky wicket, and we get into that question of what
the factory specs really are. In this case, the specs used were not
Rover's NADA Federal 3500S specs because there are several obvious
deviations. I think the differences make it clear that the restorer is
NOT trying to pass this off as a real NADA 3500S, but then he throws in
that bit about standard Rover specification, and that clouds the issue.

As Rudiger points out, the VIN confirms that it was a home market RHD
3500 when it left the factory, so it's a near clone but not an exact
clone. Still, if it were me, I'd probably be happy to have the leather
interior for my £16k.  Then again, leather box pleated seat kits are
available in the UK.

As far as the MGB shells are concerned, Geoff, there are problems there,
too. Someone correct me, but I think the Heritage shells are built to
1975 specs. I think they are correct for rubber bumper MGBs, but if you
restored a 1967 MGB it would not be identical to what left the factory.
I think the suspension needs to be modified at the minimum. I guess
you'd have to use the 1967 VIN on it, but it clearly isn't the car that
left the factory and is no longer to 1967 spec. A complete unibody is a
crazy sort of thing to call a replacement part. One hopes that such
information is passed on when the car is sold on. It could retain the
original engine and be a "numbers matching" original 1967 MGB roadster
with a completely different unibody. Maybe that's not such a big deal
for an MG as it would be for a Duesenberg, but  we've seen MGB roadsters
offered at $27,000 lately on eBay.

(By the way, my spellchecker says I should have typed "Dusenberg"
without the extra "e" and that may be the first time I've seen a mistake
in a spellchecker. That's a funny word to have in a spellchecker, anyway.)

;-)

Glen