[ROVERNET - UK] P6B nuts and bolts specs

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton smokeandsteam at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 00:12:38 GMT 2007

On 11/3/07, Brooks <restore at nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
> "the car is UNF and UNC
> throughout."
>
>  I'm sorry...but I don't know what these terms represent...

"Unified National Fine" and "Unified National Coarse" which were
originally specified in the 19th century and eventually became US
standards. You will also see them referred to as SAE threads. Your
standard toolkit will fit

SAE/Unified threads began to  become more widespread among British
makers in the 50s into the 70s until metrication; the "Unified" part
of the name comes from an agreement among various standards bodies in
the late forties to ensure at lest some commonality between the
various inch-based countries in NATO.

Carbs, electrical parts and instruments were often held together with
BA (British Association) screws; BA is a long established thread form
used in instrumentation and is based on a metric measurements, but is
not compatible with the ISO metric system except by accident.

While technically obsolete  BA hardware and tools are still available
as BA screws are much favoured by model railway enthusiasts in the
Commonwealth countries

Having said that there is one other thread standard you need to be
aware of, BSP which is sonetimes used for things like temperatore
sensors and which can trip up the unwary.

Aidrian