[ROVERNET - UK] Bleeding brakes!

Roger.Matheson roger.matheson at bigpond.com
Wed May 2 14:34:58 BST 2007

Hi Steven,

When you refer to a mity vac, does this mean a vacume device sucking fluid
through from one of the callipers?  I have found air pressure effective.  I
made up a new cap for the resevoir and connected it to 5 lbs air pressure.
Releasing a blead screw allows the compresed air to push the fluid through.
Obviosly you need to watch the level of fluid but you can move a lot of
fluid quickly with this technique.  The last time I bled a recon servo I
connected a resevoir with a little fluid in it with a short pipe above the
servo outlet.  Pumping the pedal through full strokes very quickly
eliminated air which I could see as bubbles in my dummy resevoir.  From what
you say it seems that there is still air in the second servo.

Use spare blead screws in the outlets of the master (same thread)  A solid
pedal will confirm the master is OK.  With air out of the servos by the
above technique, lack of pedal can only mean air in the lines and in the
callipers.  Use the compressed air method, push fliud out of the rear
bleader (90% of the contents of the resevoir should be enough to change the
total volume in this circuit.  Do the same with the front (furthest from the
servos then the front nearest).

If you still have no pedal then there must be a fault in the seals/bores of
the master and or the servos, or there is excessive play betwen the pads and
disks.  Are there any leaks or bulging in the flexible pipes at he
callipers?  Have you been using fresh fluid each time (fluid used for
bleading can contain small air bubbles).  I have not found it necessary to
start the engine, or raise the rear.  In relation to previous discussions,
the blead screw on the rear is of course lower than the inlet pipe Stand
well and trully corrected.

Cheers Roger