[ROVERNET - UK] P6B - Removing rear brakes

Roger.Matheson roger.matheson at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 28 14:22:21 BST 2007

Having tried all the methods previously discussed, I have settled on the
half shaft method of accessing the callipers and using a bar over the wheel
nuts to remove the holding bolts.  The wheel nut method allows you to
position the nut into the right place to get the socket fully on.  I use two
extensions for the socket so I can operate the ratchet outside the body of
the car with it resting on the top link assembly.  Its quicker if working
alone.  However a helper ready to press the brake pedal is perhaps the best.
With the half shafts hanging down, and the disks removed most of the
calliper can be accessed from the side rarther than underneath.  With the
disks off I find it easier to wind in the ajuster ready for new pads.  The
condition of the universals can be checked and its easier to access the
greese nipple for those with them.  I do find it a hassle to compress the de
Dion tube to re fit the half shafts and perhaps others will have found an
easy way of doing this to share.

regards

Roger Matheson