[ROVERNET - UK] Rover 2000 TC (1966) petrol tank sender unit.

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Fri Jul 13 04:45:58 BST 2007

James,

Using my MGB Electrical Systems book by Rick Astley as a guide. The
resistance of the sender should read from 222 ohms empty to 20 ohms when
full. This is plus or minus 20 % for limited accuracy. If your system uses a
thermal (bimetallic) type gauge with a voltage stabilizer, the stabilizer
voltage supplied to the meter should be 10 volts. If it is a moving iron
gauge the voltage supplied should be 12 volts with no stabilizer. MG went to
thermal (bimetallic) in 1968, I don't know about Rover. To check a moving
iron gauge remove the wire (green/black -?) from the sender with the
ignition on, gauge should read zero. Touch the wire to ground, gauge should
read full. Checking a thermal (bimetallic) gauge is the same, but do not
hold the wire on ground for very long as it could cause the gauge to
overheat. Note: if you have a moving iron gauge there should be a ground
wire to the gauge. This is not required for the thermal gauges. A quick
check to ascertain that there is a ground to the gauge is to see if the
panel light in it operates. No ground, no light.

Hope this helps.

Slats