[ROVERNET - UK] Shifting Problem (post for friend)

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Tue Feb 27 20:25:41 GMT 2007

I'm presuming the car is a P6?

On the blocked shifts into gear, any teeth grinding (actually syncro
grinding) while trying to do it or is the lever just impossible to
move? Any unusual noises, in particular occasional short, very
high-pitched shrieks?

My first thought is some kind of clutch problem. After that, a failed
"main shaft spigot" bearing could give the symptoms, but that would
be quite the noisy gearbox.

If there are no bad noises, next thing to look at is the shift
mechanism itself, a fairly Rube Goldberg affair with plenty of room
for derangement, and there is lots of rubber to swell and rot.

Yours
Vern