[ROVERNET - UK] Painting My Car - Maaco

Ali Al-Abbasi alialabbasi at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 11 15:04:56 BST 2006

Maaco is a franchise. Some are going to do an awful job, but there are some
that do really good work. It's just a matter of who you go to. When I lived
in Dallas, I visited a Maaco on Harry Hines BLVD that did excellent work.

They were very honest about the work that they did and told me that the job
included 2 hours labor for prep work. So if you bring them a car with a
dent, you'll get a shiny dent. If you bring them a rusty car then you'll get
fresh paint on rust etc etc etc.

That said, If you decide to consider Maaco, you may be able to get a decent
job but you need to shop around first. Visit the store and talk to the
owner, have him show you the facility and show you some completed jobs. Make
him explain to you what they did and how much it cost. Make multiple trips
to the store so that you can see some work before it goes into paint and
when it's done.

In the end, it all depends on who's doing the work on your car and how good
they are at their job. Considering that a Maaco store paints hundreds of
cars every week, the chances are that the painter has lots of experience. If
the paint has  orange peel or runs, you can color sand and buff it out you
get the car home.

If I ever decide to take my car to Maaco, I would find out who's painting my
car and slip him $50 before he starts and then let him know that there's
another $50 coming his way when the job's done.