[ROVERNET - UK] P6B compression / carb adjustment - some answers

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Thu Nov 30 14:57:29 GMT 2006

Hi Peter,
As John pointed out, it's time to get back to basics and
one of the "basics" about the Rover V8 is the head bolt
situation.  All the rover V8 books mention this and we
talk about it from time to time on Rovernet.

John's dry/wet compression test will tell you a lot about
the situation with rings and valves in most any engine,
but the Rover V8 has one interesting and unique
variable...the head bolts.  Buick made the mistake
originally, trying to save a few cents by eliminating the
top four head bolts on each bank.  Oldsmobile versions and
the current Wildcat heads and blocks from Ian Richardson
all have six bolts around each combustion chamber, whereas
the Buick 215 and Rover v8 to 1995 have five.  Five is
plenty if they are evenly spaced (a la small block Chevy),
but the Buick/Rover bolts are not evenly spaced.  Torquing
the outermost head bolts to P6B spec actually tilts the
head on the block causing a compression leak past the head
gasket into the valley between cylinder banks.  This leak
gives the same symptoms as a set of bad rings (commonly
called blowby) but has an entirely different cause.
 Unless your mechanic is an old Rover hand, and perhaps
even if he is, he may not be aware of this.  If allowed to
go uncorrected, this situation creates a gummy mess in the
valley and the rocker chambers, adds to the problems of
design deficiency in the area of camshaft and lifters, and
impedes oil return from the top end of the engine to the
sump.  Results: additional camshaft and rocker wear, oil
starvation when the pickup becomes plugged and lots of oil
in the intake system (please note this last item).

If the problem is not too bad, replacing the head gaskets
and retorquing the head bolts to post '95 specs (just
leave out the outermost head bolts on both banks) can do
wonders (do the valve job while the heads are off).
 Beyond this, replacing the camshaft, lifters, and timing
chain set (always use a true roller chain) and checking
the condition of rockers and rocker shafts are all "engine
in place" items.  Cylinders seldom wear enough to need a
rebore unless they have worn oval at the bottom and this
will only be appearant upon complete disassembly.
  Depending on the original CR of your engine, you may or
may not want to switch to a composit type head gasket.  I
used to reccommend the composit gaskets for everyone, but
found that on 8.13:1 engines the compressions drops too
much.  If the valley and rocker boxes are really gummy,
its time for a rebuild.  In doing a rebuild, never put new
bearings in the bottom end without replacing the cam
bearings and CAREFULLY inspecting the wear on the rockers
and rocker shafts.  Failure to follow this rule will
result in tight clearances in the bottom end, loose
clearances in the top end, and all the oil going to
exactly the wrong places.  The rod bearings will fail
within five thousand miles.

Have a nice day:-).  It's snowing here.

Roverly,
Kent K.