[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Rear Axle

John Burkhard burkhaj at earthlink.net
Mon May 29 20:54:55 BST 2006

There is a P6 out here that is having problems with the differential.  The
owner, not having a computer asked me to ask all of you for some help.  The
car had been in storage for some time.  He got the car running and
everything at the rear seemed normal for about 600 or so miles.  Then the
rear hubs were determined to need rebuilding.  This was done with new
bearings, seals and crush spacers.  Just after this service was performed
the differential problem started.  After just a few days of driving the
differential side and pinion gears failed.  The complete rear axle assembly
was replaced with a used unit and the same thing happened again.  My first
thought is that the rear hubs pre-load was incorrectly set.  An other
ideas?  Thank you for the help.  jb