[ROVERNET - UK] "Restoring" Rovers, Market Value, et cetera

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Fri Jul 28 16:42:02 BST 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 01:54:11 -0400
  "Winchester, Miles" <Miles.Winchester at ArvinMeritor.com>
wrote:
> I think Kent is referring to the conversion of a RHD
>wiring harness to the
> Left hand side. Not something I would want to take on.

Yes, thank you Miles.  I should go into a little more
detail on the RHD to LHD conversion.  I intend to drive
this car regularly and consider the conversion to LHD a
safety issue.  I have inquired and found no LHD P5B
harnesses available, though one might be made up by
certain suppliers.  The existing harness was in good shape
at its peripheral points where harnesses usually
deteriorate.  My original plan was to move the mechanical
components, gages and switches, shortening those wires
that feed from the left and splicing those that feed from
the right.  I now feel that a "cut and shut" approach
would have been simpler, if not neater.   This approach
would cut all the wires attached to the mechanical or body
components and then simply splice all the wires
(essentially, every wire in the dash).  This would result
in some circuits (those that terminate or enter on the
left side) running all the way to the right side and back
again.  I prefer a voltmeter to an ammeter and have an
appropriate instrument that fits the pod.  This would also
eliminate a lot of work splicing or running longer
(battery hot) brown wires to the ammeter, something I am
not fond of for safety's sake.  None of this would be
visible or even accessible to the casual observer.

On this subject, I really do agree with those who uprate
their electrical systems to include an alternator (or
better alternator), gear reduction starter, voltage
regulator or sound system ( I personally remove all
radios, etc. from all my cars as I consider them driving
distractions and cannot hear human or mechanical
conversation when they are on.)  I have factory radio
delete options for everything except the SD1 (including
the rare factory radio delete for the TR8.)  All a matter
of personal taste, reliability or entertainment.  George
Hacking's (now Michael Cain's) P4/100 is a case in
point...very impressive and sanitary.

Roverly,
Kent K.