[ROVERNET - UK] Rebuild kits and KinardRove '06

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Sat Jul 22 06:50:49 BST 2006

Hi Lance,
Hi Lance (and other netters),

 From reading Rimmers paper V8 catalogue, I conclude that
they only supply the stock type sleeves in their 3.5 to
3.9 conversion kits.  Stock 3.9 pistons are fine, but the
stock 3.9 sleeves are too thick and do not leave enough
meat in the cylinder wall.  I have yet to identify the
source of the thin sleeves listed by Des Hammill in his
book.  The top hat sleeves (flanged) are available from LA
Sleeve in Los Angeles but are over $600US per set.  (Seems
like I posted this a while back).  So I really don't know
what to suggest in terms of a rebuild kit...use the rest
of the Rimmers kit but not the sleeves if you are going to
a 3.7 inch bore.  All the other stuff will be good, but
check the kit when it arrives for completeness and
quality.  Rimmers...you can't live with them and you can't
live without them.  I received three sets of TR8 block
mounts from them before I got a pair that wasn't too
warped to bolt to the block.  The first set of stainless
headers I got from them for an SD1 placed one pipe in the
same location as the steering shaft.  The forgot that LHD
cars have a steering shaft on the left.  The next Rimmers
catalogue listed separate header sets for LHD and RHD
applications and I got the first set of LHD headers they
sold...but they still didn't clear the starter solenoid so
I had to use a P6B starter...duh!

If I had read this earlier, I could have asked our host
this morning, Phil Baker, about sleeves.  Phil is 86 and
lost his wife recently.  He suffers from severe arthritis
but his mind is clear and sharp.  He took us out to the
shop and showed us a prototype V12 based on Rover/Buick
components (I took a picture) which his son, Ray, will
soon begin producing.  Phil had a stack of sleeves for use
with the 3.7 inch bore sitting on a shelf and several
hundred 215 blocks to use for this project.  The cranks
are cut from huge billets and cams from special blanks.  I
felt humbled to get to talk with one of my boyhood heros
and a man who has made a great contribution to the
development of the Buick/Rover V8.  I worked on one of his
5.0 liter Buick conversions many years ago and thought at
the time that it was a very beautiful piece of work.  No
man has worked with our aluminum V8's longer (Dan LaGrue
is the possible exception).  Phil is a great guy and I'm
glad I finally got to meet him.

For those who will be there, Peter and I will see you at
Bellevue tomorrow, God willing.

Roverovingly,
Kent K.