[ROVERNET - UK] 1951 Rover P4 Cyclops

Mike Maher michael.maher at virgin.net
Tue Jul 11 23:28:49 BST 2006

Steve,

Freewheel was fitted to Rovers from 1932 or thereabouts and is an epicyclic
gearbox fitted behind the main grearbox which enables clutchless
gearchanging.
The Freewheel control is a wheel on the dash, with 2 positions, 'Fixed' and
'Free'.    In the fixed position,  wheel turned anti clockwise
[counterclockwise] the  freewheel is locked and drive is transmitted
directly to the rear wheels and the clutch operates as normal.

Turning the wheel clockwise unlocks the freewheel.   To quote the 1947 hand
book, " Proceed as follows to change up.:-
1. Take your foot off the accellerator pedal.
2. Pause sufficientlyt long for the  engine revs to die down
3. Move the gearlever gently but firmly into the next gear
4. Continue with accelleration

To change down
Lift your foot off the accellerator pedal and at the same time move the gear
lever from the top to 3rd position and continue with accelleration.  The
movement need not be hurried but it is impossible to do it too quickly and
there must be no pause in neutral."

Never turn the  Freewheel control in either direction unless the car is
stationary or the car is moving and the engine is pulling.

One advantage of Freewheel is relaxed driving, although you still need to
use the clutch when the car is stopped at an intersection for example.

The significant disadvantage is that there is no engine braking in
Freewheel, so changing down when descending a steep gradient has no effect

Hope this helps

regards

Mike