[ROVERNET - UK] 1947 P2 (Rover 16 Sport Saloon)

Mike Maher michael.maher at virgin.net
Fri Jan 27 12:55:57 GMT 2006

Stephen,

There is a history of Solex carbs on later 6 cylinder Rover P2 cars
producing flat spots, rough running, rich mixture and poor fuel economy.
This can be due to a simple error in interpretation of catalog information
when a replacement carb was ordered. The Solex catalog confused a 16hp rated
P3 75 with the earlier 16hp model (both had similar RAC horsepower outputs)
and a Solex 30 PAA1-2 was supplied rather than the correct Solex 30 PAA1 as
a replacement for the original obsolete 30 FFIA carbs.

(The distinguishing feature is apparently the width of the accelerator pump
body.  Looking down on the carb,  If the width is 16 mm or 5/8 inch it is a
P2 carb.[30 PAA1]  If the width is 32mm or 1 1 /4 inch it is a P3 or
Landrover Carburettor and will cause flat spots on a P3)

The 30 PAA1 was also fitted to a number of other cars, several of non UK
origin, as well as being made in other forms such as the AAPI used on Ford
V8s (Could a Solex AAPI be modified to suit?)

Zenith offered a 36V12 replacement carburettor for the P2

Further information is available from the Rover Sports Register's Freewheel
Magazine (October 2004 and December 2004)

Hope this helps

Mike Maher