[ROVERNET - UK] Gearbox changes

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 03:19:42 BST 2006

Fritz,
A 401******** is a bushing box.
The main gears have a larger inner diameter to match
the phosphor bronze bushes (X2).

The 415******* series uses main gears with a smaller
inner diameter to match the roller bearings.

The reverse gear is the same.

The idler gear can be used.  In one case there is a
castle nut at one end and in the other case a bolt is
used.

The 415 was introduced as the phosphor bronze bush got
crunched under some conditions.

8 hours re and re plus gearbox time to just replace
the bush(es).  Major bummer!

Eric

Webmaster:
The Rover Car Club of Canada -  www.roverclub.ca