[ROVERNET - UK] Icelert renewal

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 16:34:06 BST 2005

John,
I published some diagrams here:
http://www.roverclub.ca/icealertindex.html

The sensors will burn out in a nano-second if the main
wires are connected incorrectly.  The components of
the early and late type are the same but have been
assembled in a different way to upgrade the ice alert
to a more robust head in the later model.  The early
case was more prone to corrosion and the electronics
were more exposed in the round type of sensor.  They
encapsulated the electronics for the rectangular head
and used a stainless steel body.  However, they used
mild steel for the two support pillars.  The screws
and pillars rust and it makes screw removal difficult.
 You could probably make up one good unit if you had a
variety of case parts and the facility to unsolder and
resolder the transistors and other components. You
might start off with just replacing the heat sensing
transistor that is exposed to the elements.

Years ago, I talked with a very co-operative gentleman
from Findley-Irvine who sent along a diagram from
which I generated more usable diagrams for myself.  I
posted the ones I used on the club website.  I figured
out how to test the early sensors on my car with the
late electronics.  I used engine start Ether to cool
the transistor to get the orange light flashing on the
dash.  There is even a special spray you can buy to
cool electronic components for testing.

It would be easier to take Peter up on his offer ;-)

Eric

--- John Couch <jackjohn3 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Rovernetters,
>
> I have been working on both my 2000TC and my 3500S
> and want to get the icelert systems functioning.  I
> dismantled one unit last night and found that the
> sensing transistor's wires had become disconnected.
> I found a wiring diagram on the net from the
> original manufacturer, Findley, Irvine LTD.  They
> are still in business but looking at their website
> leads me to believe they are not dealing with Rover
> Icelerts anymore.  My question is does anyone
> provide a rebuilding service for these units or am I
> going to have to figure out how to and then
> refurbish this unit on my own?
>
> John Couch

Webmaster & Magazine Editor:
The Rover Car Club of Canada -  www.roverclub.ca