[ROVERNET - UK] Question on Rover SD1 Front Suspension /Damper Removal & Exchange

Gavin.Walker at csiro.au Gavin.Walker at csiro.au
Fri May 13 00:56:42 BST 2005

Hi Pierre,
  I've never removed a damper and most I see aren't original.  Since the
hard bit is getting it moving you seem to be on the right track.

The lower strut ball joint is a pain.  If pulled three sets of struts in
the last few years and all were removed by unbolting the lower bracket
from the subframe.  Straight forward especially if the anti roll bar has
been removed.  Tie rod ends are held fast by the taper mainly.  When
fitting new balljoints recently the tapers spun.  The solution is to
gently jack the tie rod end to provide extra friction on the taper.

Be careful when removing the spring.  Their free length is much longer
than the available travel in the damper.  You need to compress the
spring quite a way.  To remove the top nut I used a high impulse device
(hitting a socket and bar with a hammer).  When putting it back together
sometimes it's necessary to clamp the top (not the bottom) of the damper
shaft with vice grips, unless of course you have a nice deep spanner and
the appropriate allen key.

Oh you should also check you bump stops are intact.  Each strut should
have two.

Gavin Walker
Canberra, Australia