[ROVERNET - UK] Electrical mystery on P6

Paul Smith Paul.Smith at auroraenergy.com.au
Fri May 6 01:12:20 BST 2005

Ok, I'll stir it up with my current curly problem:
During Christmas visit to praents I racked up 3000 miles on SC.
Most of the car ran perfectly.
However the generator cjopped out the rear bush, and the armature metal wore
away a bit.
Fixed the bush, but the increased air gap meant the gennie now
underperformed.
Time for an alternator, a la the one on the TC (which was a Holden one I
fitted in 1985).

I put alternator on, all looked ok.  Voltage on the battery posts looks ok,
around 13.6 at 1500rpm or so.
The alternator output does go through the regulator box, but not the IGN
light.  IGN light behaves perfectly.

BUT
the battery went flat; hmmm.
Tried the battery out of the 2500, same response.
Consistently, if I leave the car for 3 days, the battery is dead flat.
However if I take the battery out and leave it to sit, the voltage recovers
a lot.
I put an DMM in series with the battery earth lead to see if there was a
steady discharge.
0 amps; clock cuts in every 2.5 minutes and blips the current.  Open the
door, get .4 amp discharge.  It looks perfect.

So I bought a new battery.  Same response.
So I swapped in the alternator off the TC, in case the one I put on has a
dead diode or something.
Same response.

Now what??

PVS