[ROVERNET - UK] Gluing consoles

Ron Morey morey814 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 21 01:57:44 GMT 2005

greetings all. I fought the inevitable for a number of years but then..I
stumbled across a plastic welding gun in an electronics auction. If you have
a number of things to repair this is the better way to go if the parts are
not available in good used condition. It is an electronics heat gun, basicly
a hair dryer on steroids. You will need a focusing tip as well to direct the
heat to a small area. If you are careful almost any plastic piece can be
repaired. My successes so far have been on the SD1. That includes the front
air dam, vinyl replacements in the interior and straightening bent plastic
pieces. My failure has included a window switch-it shrunk when I applied
heat in my efforts to straighten the retaining clip. It was a clear case of
too much heat. A new gun costs about 125-150 Cdn plus a tip for $10-20. You
can spend up to 400 easily if you want a more comprehensive unit with
infinitely variable heat. I have used both and found very little difference.
Steinel (Stienel?) makes one of the more reasonably priced units that work
well. If you need to add material it must be of a compatible plastic. It
will almost always produce a result that is better than glue.
Hope this helps, Ron.