[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Oil Filter

John Burkhard burkhaj at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 31 19:19:54 BST 2005

Vern your correct about the FRAM filters being junk for most part.  For more
information on the quality of oil filters got to:
www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter-study/
As for the internal valves. All most all automotive oil filters have a
Anti-Drain Back Valve on the intake side mounted to the base of the filter.
Inside some filters or on the filter head there is a Oil Pressure Relief
Valve.  Now what about drain back on the discharge or output side?  Look at
the MG B inverted or top mount or upside-down spin-on filter head.  There is
a standpipe about four inches high that is the Anti-Drain Back system for
the discharge side of the filter.  The Rover 2000 engine has the upside-down
filter head but no standpipe.  So in about one half hour gravity pulls all
the oil out of the filter, down into the crankcase.  The correct filter for
the Rover 2000 has a plastic internal stand pipe that is the Anti-Drain Back
System.  I am sorry that I can not send illustrations but my scanner died.
I hope all these words work to clear up the need for a non automotive oil
filter on the 2000 engine.  Take Care  jb

John Burkhard
1966 P6 2000 TC