[ROVERNET - UK] Re: rovernet Digest, Vol 32, Issue 26

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Tue Jul 19 01:08:12 BST 2005

Hi Graham,
Nice to know that someone has actually done this.  My logic stems from
the fact that LT77 conversions in P6B's seem to require no driveshaft
modifications and LT77's and BW65's in SD1's use the same drive shaft.
We don't have any late P6B's in North America, so we don't have the easy
possibility of changing tailhousings. If you have some extra rear
extensions, please ship us a few along with the cable shifters. I'm sure
there are differences in the transmission mount area as welland the late
P6B housing and drive flage would make everything much easier.

Was the SD1 BW65 too long or too short?  I have several 65's on the
bench at present, but all my 35's are in cars that are not readily
accessible, so I can't just go out and measure.

This whole subject is more easily delt with in SD1's and P5B's because
there is so little room in the P6B tunnel and heat buildup is already a
problem. I do think that the 65 is worth doing in a P6B regardless of
what details are involved simply because it's far easier than any
alternative.  For those outside North America, the GM180 might be
another possibility.  If I ever get to play with the 4L30E, it may be a
possibility for P6B's and the Jatco from a 300ZX is also pretty slender.
  The Jatco has the advantage of vacuum modulation (like the GM180) and
no kickdown cable, whereas the 4L30E is computer controlled with all
that such installations entail. Where is Franc when we need him?

I'm still looking for a bellhousing from a Sherpa V8, or at least a good
picture of one, to determine if the 4HP22 sits "straight" or is "clocked
over" like the RR installations.  There are lots of 4HP22's about, but
the RR bellhousing means lots of firewall and tunnel bumping in SD1's
and P5B's.

As we have stated before in this group, for NA Roverites, the 200-4R or
700-R4 are far easier to install in P5B's or SD1's, are cheap to
rebuild, and give you an overdrive 4th.

You guys must be gettin tired of me going through this again, but every
time it comes up, someone adds a little to a subject near and dear to my
heart.  Thanks for sharing your experience, Graham.

Roverly,
Kent K.