[ROVERNET - UK] shipping P4 engine UK to US

James Dean jaguru at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 15 14:57:29 BST 2005

Back in1989, during the classic car "boom", I shipped low-priced restoration
projects  and a few good cars out of Ft. Lauderdale, to New Zealand. I found
I could build a wood frame onto a rolling car, say an MGA or Austin Healey,
and load a second car on top of that. I would then put 2 more cars down the
side, and fill the spaces with engines and parts.Shipping, I believe was
about $4000 for a 40 foot container, so space was valuable. I ncidently, the
present owner of one of those Healeys bought parts on my ebay store last
month to funish one car; soThe venture succeeded.I tried the same thing to
England, stacked 2 MGA's in a twenty foot container, but the corrupt
longshoremen in England charged excessive fees to unload them, and a
shipping to England was cheap, so it made more sense touse a 40' container
to England.New Zealand also required Steam cleaning, to be sure no exotic
Florida pests rode along.American Freight has a bay where the container is
moved  inside, and they build racks, inside the container. These are larger
cars; An Xj6 and 2 XJS, so they will use a 42 foot container.James
Dean. ----- Original Message -----