[ROVERNET - UK] Of grose jets and float bowls

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 1 20:59:04 BST 2004

Tom,
The brass floats on the carbs on both my cars bob up
and down easily.  I use a small suction cup to remove
them.  If you have a suction cup equipped valve
grinding tool, that would do nicely.

The front float may have a pin hole leak.  You could
remove it and drop it into a cup of very hot water.
You would see bubbles if there is a leak.  There may
be corrosion down the walls of the chamber just barely
restricting movement. The corrosion should be removed
with a Scotchbrite pad.

The rear float may be held by dried crud after sitting
stored where the gasoline evaporates and the float
sinks to the bottom with crud jamming the sides (or
corrosion).  Try putting a few tablespoons of gasoline
into the float in the hope that the crud will
redissolve and you can remove the float.  Other than
that you may have to try working the float with a
miniature screw driver.

Eric

=====
Webmaster & Magazine Editor: