[ROVERNET - UK] leaf springs

Graham Carter carrests at tpg.com.au
Mon Nov 8 20:38:17 GMT 2004

springs were orignally designed to be lubricated to prevent wear of the
leaves.some springs are fitted with plastic ( possibly teflon) inserts to
improve this suppleness and prevent wear .
they are more supple and will ride smoother.painton the outsides of the
spring is to prevent rust which will cause pitting and may even develope
stress risers that will eventually lead to spring failure.
if you mess with really old cars you will have come across springs that are
worn most of the way through.
it comes down to commonsense in the end
rule no.1 anything not lubricated will wear away rapidly
rule no2 anthing of a ferrous base that is not protected with a protective
coating such as plating or paint etc will rust which actually eats away the
metal which in the case of springs will gradually reduce the strength and
reduce the spring rate