[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Door hinges

Alan FRANCIS royston at jualry.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 10:10:05 BST 2004

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between early and late door
hinges. That is the part of the hinge that attaches to the door (not the
base unit). My reason for asking is that I have just come from trying to
re-hang the doors on my '64 car. I am certain the previous owner must have
sourced second hand doors as the amount of adjustment required to get them
to fit the aperture is significant, far more so than if they were the
originals and had just be removed for spraying.

My problem is both front and rear offside doors have had to be packed out
from the base unit by about 8-10mm !!!! in order to get them to fit. That is
on the hinge side of the door, thus bringing the hinged part OUT of the
aperture, without these the door is 'hinge bound' and attempts to bring the
latching faces together merely cause the hinged side to 'bounce'.

The base unit part of the hinge keeps the same part number throughout but
the door hinge changes and I am wondering if the later hinges have different
dimensions to the earlier ones?

This is NOT an alignment question , I have done enough of these to know a)
what a pain in the ar*e they are and b) how to do 'em!

Could this be related to the anti-burst latch fitted to later cars and I
think was discussed before when Tom Trafton was having the same trouble I
think. My fear is there is very little thread now holding the base unit
hinge to the base unit.

If i am on the right lines I assume I need a set of door hinges from
pre-anti burst doors?

Regards

Alan Francis (Part Viking)