[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Estate Spotted in Hamsterdam

John Windwood wood at winds27.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Dec 29 17:16:09 GMT 2004

Just to clarify, Rover had NOTHING to do with the design of the P6 estate.
When David Bache (The P6 styling chief) was shown pictures of the prototype,
he declared it "An abortion" and refused to be associated with it in any
way. They were conversions by FLM Panelcraft (A third party coachbuilder)
and were built to order on either new or second hand P6 models. Rover did
agree to give factory approval for warranty purposes and the conversion
could be ordered via selected Rover dealers. Having seen several estates in
bits, I am amazed that any of them actually stayed together ! The rear pod
assembly was mostly held on by pop rivets, and a lot of strength was removed
from the donor car by cutting out the rear bulkhead and decker panels. It is
really a testament to the P6 design that they could retain enough strength
to survive! They werent too popular because of -1. Cost,  and 2.
Impracticality-the loadspace was not that great and due to the sloping
roofline, the load door was shallow and not very high off the ground making
Still, each to his own ! I know a couple of devoted estate owners who love
their cars. Not for me though!
Kind Regards
John
John Windwood