[ROVERNET - UK] Rover P6 / asbestos

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 05:03:34 BST 2004

Ron raised the alarm by noting
"..in Vancouver BC where I lived for 35+yrs there is a
tunnel under the Fraser River. Many cities have them.
That tunnel is supposed to have the highest
concentration of asbestos fibres in the air in
Vancouver. To my knowledge there is no higher
incidence of lung cancer in the commuters than in any
others who live there."

So,............. it's a good thing I didn't have to
travel south to my job, eh?

There is a many person department in BC Ferries whose
sole job is to deal with suspected asbestos
"outbreaks".  If a deckhead or bulkhead is disturbed
and powder is discovered, the ship is parked until a
special team with plastic and breathing masks
investigates and/or removes or seals the suspected
location.

Old ships are donated to the artificial reef program
and sunk in case they have asbestos OR!!!! they are
towed to Southeast Asia for dismantling.

As Ron advises, I think we are safe in our Rovers.
The asbestos pads seem to be outlawed.  I just noticed
that the class action lawyers are advertising in
tonight's newspaper for people who believe they are
affected by asbestos illness due to products produced
by Federal-Mogul (who are apparently insolvent).

Oh, joy... another problem.  Or, we could check the
daily news and consider the current disasters in the
Middle East so that we gain perspective.

Eric