[ROVERNET - UK] Rover P6 / asbestos

Ron Morey morey814 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 22 04:02:52 BST 2004

Asbestos is certainly something to watch but to put it into perspective..in
Vancouver BC where I lived for 35+yrs there is a tunnel under the Fraser
River. Many cities have them. That tunnel is supposed to have the highest
concentration of asbestos fibres in the air in Vancouver. To my knowledge
there is no higher incidence of lung cancer in the commuters than in any
others who live there. I worked for several years as a mechanic. We blew out
brake drums in the closed shop with compressed air. We didnt were masks. We
are all still walking around as far as I know-Ok I havent heard form two of
the mechanics for about 20 yrs. Maybe they're dead but one of the worst
offenders is on this list and he is certainly doing well. While I wouldnt
recommend breathing asbestos fibres, anymore than I would recommend painting
without a mask, it's not something to go into a worried state about. Yes I
do know one asbestos miner who died from lung cancer.
Where a mask and keep on ticking.
Ron.