[ROVERNET - UK] gear selector arm

roger matheson rogerdm at iprimus.com.au
Thu Aug 19 13:23:00 BST 2004

I am puzzled by the buzzing because none of my cars ever had that problem.
If it goes away when you rest your hand on the lever then the source must be
in the assembly on top of the gear box tunnel.  If it was to go when you
pushed the lever in one or other direction then you might suspect the
selector lever, one of its rubber mounts or a spider inside 'er. etc.  If
there is a gap between two metal surfaces then the gear stick may be picking
up vibration and amplifying it.  Why not take the assembly apart and see if
there is any evidence of such a gap or signs of polishing on ajacent
surfaces.  I note from the manual that there are various neoprene sponges in
this assembly to seperate metal parts and maybe one has worn to allow metal
on metal contact.  Perhaps you migh re assemble it with a smear of silastic.

A bloke had a buzzing his ears, and after much medical testing etc he was
told that he had 3 months to live.  "Go and arrange your afairs and enjoy
the rest of your life" said his doctors.

So he did, spent a fortune on trips, cars, loose women, drink etc etc.  With
his last 50 he decided that he would have a good suit specially made for his
last day on the planet.

Well the tailor meansured this and that as they do and measured his neck for
a shirt "16 inches" he said writing in his order book.  "No" the man said "I
have always had 15". "Well" said the tailor, "If you have been wearing 15
inch necks you will get an awful buzzing in the ears"

Cheers roger