[ROVERNET - UK] gear selector arm

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 16:43:58 BST 2004

Jim sighed and noted,
> *  one of John Wadham's short gear sticks with the
> metal end and nylon/plastic insert for the hole in
> the shift rod.  I only used this stick very briefly
> because I was unable to get the insert pressed into
> the hole in the shift rod, and the metal-to-metal
> combination made way too much noise (& I did not
> want to damage the gear stick or the shift rod). 
> This is the stick that I'd like to use - if anyone
> has any ideas about how to fit the insert w/o taking
> the car apart I'd appreciate it.

I am focused on this same issue.  I have a long
gearshift with a turned metal tip which rattles in the
"Series 1" control arm.  In a Wadhams advert, I saw
the remanu insert for a control rod but the scraps of
info I have gleaned have pointed to a very late
control rod which has been machined with a bigger hole
to accept nylon inserts.  We would never get an insert
into the older rod.

We need a couple of used control arms designed for the

The system seems to be a self-destructing design with
a rubber product rubbing against a vibrating metal
surface whose life was not intended for us vintage car
folks who want to keep the car running well past its
"use by ......" time.


Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish.

More information about the rovernet mailing list