[ROVERNET - UK] Rovernet moving

Gundry, Kenneth KG at dolby.com
Mon May 19 22:56:06 BST 2008

Message received in duplicate!

My answers are yes and yes.

Regards,

Ken Gundry 	kg at Dolby.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Russell [mailto:p6rovers at yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 10:34 AM
To: Rovernet
Subject: [ROVERNET - UK] Rovernet moving

The company who is paying the bill for the Rovernet mailing list site is
New Information Paradigms or NIP Ltd. in the UK.  They are running it
from one of their web domains called <ccdata.com>. They would like to
sell that domain name and they have asked us to move.

In anticipation of that move, I have reserved the domain <rovernet.ca>
as a locating home page for a new location.  The problem is how to
seamlessly move that database of 308 names and email addresses to a new
location and the present archives of messages.
Currently, the systems administrator of the <roverclub.ca> website and a
few other sites which I manage, has been unhelpful in the extreme.  All
aspects of the move will have to be up to me and the systems
administrator of our current list in the UK.
He is willing to help.

I am working out the technical details of a move. I need to determine if
it is possible to move the Rovernet membership database as a block or do
I have to type in individual names and addresses separately.

I'd like to be able to also move the archives as a block.  The current
problem is that I can't "see" the folder on my test site.  I have asked
the UK admin chap if the archives can be exported to another form.
I am awaiting an answer.

Linda and I will be leaving on May 29 for a trip to the car show in
Massachusetts and then on to the Maritime provinces, Montreal, Ottawa,
and Toronto before returning home in mid-July.  I don't plan a Rovernet
move before that date.

I have set-up a new "Rovernet-CANADA" test site.  I have entered my
three email addresses and the system seems to work.

I have two questions to ask of the subscribers.
(Most important):
1.  When it is time to move the list, are you interested in being moved
over to the new list?

*****NOTES:****
You may have to enter your personal options and reset such options as
"digest only" or anything else you have selected.
You may or may not receive an automatic notice to confirm your
membership.
If you are agreeable, you don't have to respond to this message.
If you *do not* want to be subscribed to the new list, please say so:
<p6rovers at yahoo.com>
*************************
(Less important)
2.  If you are willing to be (perhaps temporarily) subscribed to the new
test list, please let me know.
It would help me test and learn a new system.  I haven't had to
administer the operation before. You would receive some test messages
and it would be useful if you just replied to say that you received
them.  This wouldn't happen too often.

NOTES:
It could be that better access to the files of the mailing list will be
required and I have to establish the list on a site which specializes in
running this "Mailman" mailing list.

Eric Russell
List Manager

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca

Back-up list and photos at: