[ROVERNET - UK] Response to Glen's well intended comments

Brooks restore at nbnet.nb.ca
Sat Mar 29 20:06:14 GMT 2008

Lots odf good questions raised there Glen...I will do my best to answer most
of them...

"Did Canada get a hodge-podge of parts because they had less specific laws
than the
 United States? "

 I don't know what the US regulations were at that time...however today the
regulations seem to be even more strict here...as most US destined vehicles
need to be modified to meet Canadian standards before importing.
 The P6B that I am refering to NEVER had under the bumper turn signals...The
signals were wired into the front wing much like the 3500 that was built for
the home market in England....the wings were not the same as fitted to the
P^ ...however they did have a small piece of stainless (I believe) fitted to
the lower portion of the wing next to the rocker panel (is this also seen on
3500 cars made for the home market ?)  I do have some pictures of that car
before we changed it to what we call normal configeration.

"Seems like some rewiring would be involved in deleting
 the under bumper lights"

 Again...not really ...as the lights were actually an addition as you noted
for the NADA market....wether it was required by law is a bit doubtful when
you consider the other cars sold in the same market at that time .

"What exactly do you mean about the steering wheel stalks and finishing
 trims in the boot?  You have seen  some 3500S's with foot dimmer
 switches and others with stalk dimmer switches."

The unit that fits into the stalk of the steering wheel to operate signals
and high beam flash.

 I have a P6B with a unit that is completly different from any I have seen
...it's reversed to the opposite side like we have in todays cars...also it
came with a high beam flash plus on the unit you have the feature of hi-lo
beam switching ...not a dimmer on the floor. The floor mat has never even
had the hole for the dimmer punched out in order to install the unit.

"The directional indicators and horn are on the right side,
 the headlight flasher control on a stem to the left."

 Not true on all P6B cars...as I own one that didn't come that way...My Dad
removed the unit and refitted it to another P6B that he was driving.

"Have you definitely seen 3500S's in
 Canada that don't have the dimmer footswitch on the floor? To me, it
 seems much more likely that such a car was modified by some owner than
 that it was manufactured that way at the factory."

 Yes...I own it...and before me Ben Rogers owned it....at the time of
purchase Ben told me that everything was the way he bought the car...and I
can't really see anyone going to such trouble as to remove the foot dimmer
hide the holes where it would be fastened ...change the wiring and replace
the floor mat with one that was never cut for a floor mounted dimmer....it's
just too much of a strech to make.

"Even in 1964, NADA P6's had foot dimmers. "

 I'm sure the '64 Mustang did as well...but eventually things evolve...so I
am not sure what your point is  ....most of the P6B cars had foot
dimmers....but I have one that does not...and never did.

"The bumpers of a 3500S are unique to the 3500S and so are the front
wings to match them. If a 3500S was shipped with non-standard front
bumpers, they would have to have been 2000TC bumpers which would mean
 the car had 2000TC front wings, as well. How could the factory send out
 a car like that?"

 That's making a lot of unfounded presumptions Glen....I actually think it
was fitted with a front bumper from the three thousand five....it would fit
directly and would easily explain the lights in the front wings operating
like the ones used in the three thousand five model as well...I also think
you may find the front bumper of the 3500S is also a direct fit to the three
thousand five...contrary to your statement.

" Is it possible that the car you are remembering was a TC and not a
3500S? Maybe a non-NADA LHD 2000 or 2000TC was imported into Canada by
someone."

 An honest question...but not even a glimer of a chance....These are not the
same 3500 S units that I am noting differences ...but they are certainly not
"TC" models....I've owned and driven a 3500S since 71' ....I am very
familiar with the marquis and believe me there are indeed many factory
differences ...for whatever reason...I can't tell you for certain ...but you
are off the mark when you try to explain those differences as after market
or dealer modifications.

"I'm not sure what you mean by finishing trims in the boot."

 Up until I saw the P6B that I bought fronm Quebec...I had never seen
stainless steel installed along the back edge of the trunk...located just
inside the lip where the carpet stops....there was a full length of
stainless installed there . It was a match to the desigm used on the entry
step of the main part of the car...it was not something that was aftermarket
...it was factory installed ...even the screws marched the rest of the
screws used on the cars other trim pieces....

 "If I saw a car with a non-NADA spec headlight
 dimmer circuit, I would check the VIN to see if it was ever intended to
end up in North America."

 Sounds reasonable.....43301964A

 Once again Glen....it stands the test....perhaps you might care to
reconsider and recant....LOL

 Now as a final thought....every car that came to canada had to meet
standards that were put in place effective Jan 1/1968...so the bumper theory
you have so clearly noted may indeed be only a theory...because if it were
factual ...then please explain how the 1968 Rover 2000  was permitted to
roam the streets of the USA ... Just a little food for thought :)

 Regards

  Dennis Brooks