[ROVERNET - UK] 3500S specs for USA and Canada

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Sat Mar 29 16:55:56 GMT 2008

Dennis,

In the USA, they had to have those under-bumper turn indicators to be
legal. That's the only reason they were put there in the first place.
The TC's had them too, at least in the 1969 brochure.  Down here, it
would have been illegal to sell  them without those lights. Did Canada
get a hodge-podge of parts because they had less specific laws than the
United States? I can't say from down here, but we were all NADA. Was
there a specific NADA wiring harness, or was there just one P6 harness
with extra wires? Seems like some rewiring would be involved in deleting
the under bumper lights.

The bumpers of a 3500S are unique to the 3500S and so are the front
wings to match them. If a 3500S was shipped with non-standard front
bumpers, they would have to have been 2000TC bumpers which would mean
the car had 2000TC front wings, as well. How could the factory send out
a car like that?

The brochure lists the tinted glass as a separate option. I suppose
people without AC might also want tinted glass. It may or may not have
been mandatory with AC, but the brochure doesn't say it was.

What exactly do you mean about the steering wheel stalks and finishing
trims in the boot?  You have seen  some 3500S's with foot dimmer
switches and others with stalk dimmer switches. The 1969 2000TC manual
says this:  ""The directional indicators and horn are on the right side,
the headlight flasher control on a stem to the left. The latter can be
used to flash the high beams are either off or on low beam. The usual
floor dimmer switch is also provided for changes of high and low beam."
The left hand stalk could flash the high beams, but not switch them into
an "on" mode.

Even the May 1964 2000 Operator Manual states: "Foot dipper switch
fitted to North American Dollar Area models."  (There's the answer to
another perennial question re NADA.) It also says that the "lift left
lever to flash" function is only on NADA cars.

So, back to the original question. Have you definitely seen 3500S's in
Canada that don't have the dimmer footswitch on the floor? To me, it
seems much more likely that such a car was modified by some owner than
that it was manufactured that way at the factory.  Even in 1964, NADA
P6's had foot dimmers. Since ALL 3500S's in the USA and Canada were NADA
cars, you would have to show me a 3500S without a foot dimmer or tell me
that you are looking at one right now, for me to believe it.

Is it possible that the car you are remembering was a TC and not a
3500S? Maybe a non-NADA LHD 2000 or 2000TC was imported into Canada by
someone.

I'm not sure what you mean by finishing trims in the boot. All P6s had
the cardboard "finishing" panels shown in the brochure. I know the 3500S
had a carpeted trunk. If I picked up my 3500S at the dealership and
there was no carpet in the trunk, they wouldn't get away with telling ME
it was a "factory difference" or any other words to that effect! What a
euphemism that would be for a major quality control mistake.

I think that differences such as you describe are more likely to have
been people messing with the cars some time during the past 35 years,
not factory differences. If I saw a car with a non-NADA spec headlight
dimmer circuit, I would check the VIN to see if it was ever intended to
end up in North America.

Glen