[ROVERNET - UK] Rover P6 master cylinder master class

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Mon Mar 10 21:04:12 GMT 2008

Has anyone on the Rovernet ever had a 3500S master cylinder rebuilt that
was properly done and functioned as it should?
> P6 units may or may not be the same internally as other Girling units .
> They may contain [ undocumented ??]Rover specific parts

Parts are well documented in the Rover service manuals. Other manuals,
who knows?
> Minor differences between small parts  may have major consequences
> Master cylinder rebuild kits from any source may or may not contain
> all the parts/ the correct parts  needed to rebuild a Rover unit

Change "any source" to "suppliers without specific Rover expertise"
> Absent a certified Merlin with access to Girling and Rover's cook
> books , any rebuilt P6 master cylinder from any source  may [ should /
> must ??? be suspect ?

Don't remember hearing that. Call Ruth, Dermot or Pierre and trust their
expertise. I don't know if James gets into rebuilds on hydraulics.
Rebuilt master cylinders from "any" source without Rover expertise may
be suspect and may be false economy.

> A new NOS unit is probably the best , if not cheapest way to go
>
> Since I don't want to take any chances the safest route is to buy a
> NOS P6 master cylinder ??

If you can find one and it isn't bad from sitting on a shelf for thirty
years. Good luck finding one.
> There is no "official list ' of interchangeable Girling master
> cylinders , so no one can tell me if a NOS E type  Jaguar master
> cylinder can be fitted to a P6 .
I don't have one, anyway.