[ROVERNET - UK] P6 windshield differences?

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 16:55:45 GMT 2008

I had a windshield on my daily driver replaced one
time when a gravel truck bounced a large rock into the
driver's side while passing over a large highway
bridge at the time.

The insurance company passed it over to a company
called "Speedy Glass".  They are reputed to be owned
by a UK glass company.  Anyway, the windshield
arrived.  I was fortunate to have a technician who had
replaced many Rover 2000/3500S windshields in his
time.  There were two problems with it: firstly, the
bottom right corner was bent and distorted. Yes, the
company in the UK shipped glass obviously distorted.
Next, the glass was manufactured in metric measurement
and the thickness was not as the OEM glass that was
removed from my car.

A second glass was ordered from the UK.  It had no
distortion but it, too, was thinner than my original.

The big deal is the shipping. They have to be packed
well at the start, transported with care by a
reputable company, and installed by someone with
experience.

Eric

--- Glen Wilson <rovercar at comcast.net> wrote:

> Peter King wrote:
> > hmm, maybe some of my spares are not from a
> tc2000, I acquired them in
> > a collection of tc2000 and 3500s parts... are
> there other P6
> > variations? The 3500s spares are tinted, as is one
> of the others, and
> > another is not. I'll measure them again this
> weekend to confirm, but
> > I'm quite sure I have two variations in size,
> either in the front or
> > back screen.
> >
> > pk
>
> Peter,
>
> Why would they be different? The only difference in
> the base units
> across the model range has been in the engine
> compartment area. I've
> seen what must be aftermarket windscreens that are
> tinted differently
> than standard ones (i.e. overall blue tint), but
> they all have to be the
> same size and shape because there's only one
> standard place to fit them.
>
> Glen

Webmaster of The Rover Car Club of Canada
Website:  http://www.roverclub.ca/
Webmaster of a variety of sites from:
http://www.websrus.ca