[ROVERNET - UK] Skinners Union is RIP

slatskars at comcast.net slatskars at comcast.net
Tue Jul 8 21:45:48 BST 2008

Adrian,

Goggle on to John Twist or University Motors and try to locate his SU demo. If that doesn't bring it up, try going through some MGB searches. John is a well recognized guru on LBC's. SU's are really quite simple, just tune the mixture until you get a momentary increase in RPM followed by a drop off. If they drop off immediately, the mixture is too lean and if the keep increasing, too rich. Remember that whatever moves the jet down away from the needle is richer, as in pulling the choke. You do this with the linkage connecting the two carbs disconnected. After adjusting the mixtures, balance them and then reconnect the linkage. You test for the mixture by raising the carb piston with the small pin on the bottom of the chamber or using a very small screwdriver in the throat. It only requires a slight lift, 1/8 inch or so. If you do not have a balancer, it can be done with a small piece of rubber or plastic hose (vacuum line or fuel line type). You insert it only about 1/2 inch and li
sten to each. Adjust the idle speed until they sound the same and then reconnect the linkage.

Slats
From: Adrian McDonald <adrian.mcdonald at live.com>