[ROVERNET - UK] P6B rear brakes - Oh no not again !

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Tue Jan 1 23:53:23 GMT 2008

>Vern
>Thanks for your advice on spreading the De D tube and jacking under
>the differential . I tend to worry about large lumps of motor car
>balanced over my head ; I like as much rooom as possible and hefty
>jack stands under solid metal before I start work under a car .
>As for the Rover manual , I agree its a good one, especially
>compared with the later Haynes manuals  . I would have been even
>more impressed if it said that I needed to spread the de D tube to
>drop the drive shafts , [ and told me how to do it !!]instead of
>stating  that removing the drive shaft bolts would allow the axle to
>drop neatly down .
>Happy New Year
>Patrick

Keep in mind that the manual was written for factory trained
mechanics. Also, if you actually performed the steps exactly as
described in the manual, you will find that as you lower the diff on
the jack, the halfshafts actually come away on their own accord.
Strictly speaking, there is no need to get the halfshafts hanging
before you drop the diff, that is only necessary if you are removing
brake disks or stub axles with the diff in place.

Yours
Vern

--
Vern Klukas                             I'm a little . . .
Inkspot Type & Design
vern at inkspotco.com